happy mother’s day to all the mamas out there!! i really love seeing all the social media posts with people and their mom’s. even if half the mamas will never see it because they don’t have an instagram. still cute af because those woman are rulers.
today i spent the morning with sean’s mom; eating bacon, drinking too much coffee, all the good stuff (could only be better if a bloody mary was included and my own mother was present). being around family since mine is a plane flight away is something i am so fortunate to have and this morning i took a moment to reflect on it & get sappy. sometimes i take advantage of how much family helps along the way. a phone call, a face time, a card, a word of encouragement, no words at all but someone to listen to me bitch. i know i wouldn’t be able to accomplish anything i have without sean’s family or my own to lean on, bounce ideas off of, make me dinner etc. give your fam a little extra love today they deserve it :)
speaking of having a good support system, my parents are actually coming up to nyc for the first time since i’ve lived here! my mom has been here before to visit, but in the spirit of having both my parents in town, i thought it’s about time to put together a quick list of must do’s for when they’re here.
of course there are a lot of standard touristy things they HAVE to see, but i'm going to try and mix it up by taking them to some unique places in between.
- central park: it'll be the beginning of June, and since this year the weather has been going haywire, i think it’ll be nice enough to actually hang out there without sweating our asses off. it’s a must see for anyone who has never been to nyc.
- brooklyn bridge: it’s packed as shhiiiiiiiiz. BUT it’s something i know my parents will appreciate and i can entice my dad into going because we’ll go to grimaldis in brooklyn for pizza after. i'll make a game time decision as to what i’ll be eating that day since pizza is not on my low fodmap diet…. *sigh*
- a speakeasy: my mom is obsessed with this concept, we are one in the same. leaning towards employees only,
- food tour: this is something my parents are SUPER pumped for. after sean took me on one around christmas time they were hooked. you get to sample food from the area while hearing about the history of new york. check it here.
- top of the rock or empire state building: i’ve been to both and i would recommend top of the rock because from there you can actually see the empire state building. tickets here!
- smorgasburg: this is in williamsburg and if it’s nice we’ll go there early one morning and walk around/ go to the water to snap pics of the awesome view of manhattan. might even go to sunday in brooklyn (been dying to go) and the william vale rooftop after for a cocktail ;)
- a bar on the water: like city vineyard, grand banks, frying pan, pier a, SO MANY OPTIONS.
- boat tour to see statue of liberty.
- classic new york pizza: definitely joes in greenwhich village.
- view of manhattan via rooftop bar: brooklyn or manhattan. again either william vale hotel, refinery rooftop, probably not le bain (might be too much for the parentals). somewhere for one drink just to get the view.
- museum: in the off chance that it’s terrible weather or that we are so exhausted and cannot be bothered to walk around i want to keep a museum in the mix. Maybe the met.
- highline: this is super easy because when we're in that area for either drinks or food we can walk the highline istead of the street and kill two birds with one stone.
- katz dali: this is for my father. pastrami. that's all.
ok so that list grew a lot more as i rewrote it. in my notes on my phone i had max 5 bullet points...im exhausted just thinking about this trip.
let me know if there’s anything i missed! in my opinion when anyone visits it's better to have more options than not enough. also nyc is mostly eating and drinking so i'm going to try and make sure we are doing those things in interesting places.
that’s all for now. off to face time my mom and then scroll through netflix for two hours before going to bed.